Design

For the body shape of the cabinet I used LuSiD's design, freely available for use (unlike some who charge for designs). This design was used by a number of MAME cabinet builders documenting their projects, and looked quite authentic.

I've mirrored these plans HERE for anyone who wants to see the originals. I believe these plans are freely distributable, as per the original author's wishes.

The original plans were in imperial measurements, which meant converting them to metric to make my job easier. Once that was done, I made a few minor changes, like bringing in the front coin door for some foot room.

UPDATE!!!

I've finally drawn up my modifications and plans. The plans are drawn in QCad which is a fantastic GPL 2D CAD drawing package available for most operating systems.

Click the following links to download the plans (if you see garbage, try right-click and "download" or "save as"):
DOWNLOAD the CAD file (DXF Format)
DOWNLOAD the vector/printable file (PDF Format)

I'd recommend printing the PDF in the largest format you can. It is readable at A4, but quite small. A3 and up is highly recommended.

These plans are modifications of LuSiD's original design, and keeping in theme are avilable for anyone to do whatever they want with them. I only ask if anyone does use these to make a cab, fire me an email with your website or maybe a few photos, and make sure you add your cab to the BYOAC website database.



After reading a number of sites doing the same project, I took the advice to add castors to the bottom of the cabinet. Some re-thinking of the initial design had to be done to ensure that the structure took into account that most of the weight was now being taken by the base of the cabinet, and not the sides. A small, but important step.

As with all good carpentry (well, mine at least) plenty of changes are made on the fly when things don't fit right. As my dear father always said, "Remeber the 6 P's, son". What he meant of course was "Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance". A little more planning on my behalf probably would have left me with less stuffups, but in all I think the job was done well.

When I get the opportunity, I plan to re-measure the cabinet as-is and draw the resulting thing up in a CAD package. I'll then make files (CAD and PDF) available on this page if other's ever feel the desire to copy the same design.